5.01.2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

As the weekend comes to a close, it feels like I have accomplished nothing! I've been hard at work on the Jeweled Cowl, and this evening I finished the second tube of seed beads I'm using. They are Miyuki Matte Red in size 8. I'm not good with beads, but these are pretty and look great against the dark charcoal of the alpaca lace. I should have this cowl blocking this week.
I also worked on the mittens I'm making from my spindle spun yarn. They are coming out a little on the large side, but I decided I'd like to knit a lining for them from a softer lace weight yarn, the over-twist on the yarn I made is a little much for the hands in places, like steel wool, instead of nice lofty wool.
But the big accomplishment for the weekend? I spun a two ply thick-n-thin yarn. Two summers ago I bought a green roving from the Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival, and it's been waiting to be spun. Well, it is now about 30 yards of a super bulky yarn. I love how it turned out, and my instructor, Nora, complimented me. Calling me her "most proficient first time spinner"! I'm hooked just like I expected I would be.
My friend Laura and I are doing a fiber pen pal swap over the course of the year. Our first packages are going out this month, and we agreed we would stick to a NON-fiber package for this first time. I spent some time this weekend working on her package and it is leaving PA tomorrow. I'll post again when she gets the package, and explain a little about what I did. I highly recommend her blog, here.
Pictures of knitting and the wheel spun yarn next time!
Now, bring it on Monday! Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment