5.22.2011

Reading 2011

My goal for 2011 was to read one book per month. For many people this seems like nothing. In fact, I know people who are planning to read one book per week this year. I'm hoping that this small goal will jump start my love for reading again, and I'll get a few more books in. Especially with the vacation time I have planned to be at The Cottage.
The List:
January: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green
This was a fast read for me. I like the author's writing style, while the subject matter is intended for young adult readers, the writing is mature and a pleasure to read.
February/March: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
I really liked this book. Read it before seeing the movie.
April: The Drowning Tree by Carol Goodman
This author has made it on to my favorite authors list in a sneaky way. I really liked The Ghost Orchid and followed that up with The Night Villa. Her stories have a little bit of a CSI twist to them, and the plot usually unfolds with a few unexpected twists. I read this book in the paper version while Matt was traveling in France and Italy. It was nice to read the "real" thing again.
May: 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
I pounced on this ebook when I read that it was free, or a dollar...? I can't remember, it was a deal. It was a fast and lighthearted read, a good start to summer reading.

So as you can see by the list above, I'm a little behind. I do have half of Scarlett Fever read, but the story is a little slow and young for my typical taste. I will finish it though. The other books on the list for the near future are both good summer reading and something a little heavier:
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson (I've read his other two books in the trilogy)
The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giodano
Knit Two by Kate Jacobs (I read her first book, this is good, easy summer reading)

I also wrote down a few more titles while at Barnes and Noble this past week, but I am always up for suggestions. In addition to all of that my personal library of paper books has about a dozen unread titles in it as well.

My knitting has all progressed evenly and slowly this past week, and several neck wear items are blocking and drying slowly in this newly humid weather. Pictures of finished objects coming soon, as ALWAYS promised. I did finish Wayfarer (long scarf) and Veyla (mitts) this last week. But now summer of socks and lace has started, so my focus will shift for a little while. I have a couple secret projects in the works as well. I need to get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment